When it comes to celebrity advice, you really have to trust the source. Few people can claim to have lived a life as interesting as Ms. Patti Smith. Poet, performance artist and award-winning author (of 2010’s Just Kids, with a new title –M Train- due out soon), the High Priestess of Punk knows a thing or two about navigating this world wisely with style and grace. Here’s just a taste of her badass wisdom.
- “Make your interactions with people transformational, not just transactional.”
- “Sometimes you’re doing really well, then, after three or four years, everything inexplicably crashes like a house of cards and you have to rebuild it. It’s not like you get to a point where you’re all right for the rest of your life.”
- “Everything comes down so pasteurized everything comes down 16 degrees they say your amplifier is too loud turn your amplifier down are we high all alone on our knees memory is just hips that swing like a clock the past projects fantastic scenes tic/toc tic/toc tic/toc fuck the clock!”
- “Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.”
- I want to be around a really long time. I want to be a thorn in the side of everything as long as possible.
- “I don’t like answering to other people’s philosophies. I don’t have any philosophy, I just believe in stuff. Either I believe in something or I don’t. Like, I believe in the Rolling Stones but not in the Dave Clark Five. There’s nothing philosophic about it. Whenever I’m linked with a movement, it pisses me off.”
- “Paths that cross will cross again.”
- “Some of us are born rebellious. Like Jean Genet or Arthur Rimbaud, I roam these mean streets like a villain, a vagabond, an outcast, scavenging for the scraps that may perchance plummet off humanity’s dirty plates, though often sometimes taking a cab to a restaurant is more convenient.”
- “As far as I’m concerned, being any gender is a drag.”
- “Never let go of that fiery sadness called desire.”
Patti Smith plays the Moore Theater, January 19, Doors 7:30 p.m.,
tix $27. 50 – $42.50